"Easy Open" is an Oxymoron!

I know this has nothing to do with being prepared for a severe storm, flood, earthquake or such; however I just had to make this comment! But, on second thought, maybe it will help us be prepared for those storms after all.
My quandary is that I just don't understand why packaging has to be so hard to open. Today I purchased some Popsicles from a large dairy company with a regional reach. On the side of the box, near the top, there are directions telling you to press the little crescent shaped area to "open". Really? Have they ever tried to open their own box this way? I don't think so, unless they had a sharp knife or razor blade.
I was sitting at red light on the way home, wanting to enjoy a banana popsicle on the short drive home. Should be simple enough; just "press here to open". Well, I got a ball point pen out after pressing did nothing but hurt the tip of my finger. The box did not look any worse for the pressing.
Now I am pounding on the little crescent where the perforations are with the tip of the ball point pen. Nothing would give! Had to tear open the box from the top! All that physical effort to get a banana popcicle. Wow. At least the light was long enough for me to do my breaking and entering.
Which leads me to other packaging that is hard to open:
* Those single serving snack chips or cookie like crackers. Every time I try to open those, I get chips everywhere but in me!
* Small packages of ketchup, mustard, mayonnaise and the like are impossible for me! If my hamburger doesn't come with condiments already applied, I eat mine dry or end up wearing ketchup.
* Ever tried to open the peanut packages you get on airplanes? You know, the one with the 21 peanuts. I use more energy opening the package than the protein I get from the 21 peanuts.
* And don't get me started with those blister packages that encase your electronics in clear plastic so you can see it but can never get to it!
* My pet food comes in a 16 pound bag with a plastic "string" that is supposed to be pulled along the top seam to open the dry food package. I just tear at the top seam now, or get my scissors out and cut.
* When I see the words "Tear Here" I look for another area, knowing from experience that the "tear here" area is the strongest area of the package! And forget "Easy Open"! Not happening in this lifetime.

So to be prepared for a storm or to open a box of banana popcicles, you will need to have a set of sharp knives, scissors, chain saw, axe, hacksaw or other sharp implement. These will work on Popcicle boxes as well as tree limbs and other debris from a storm. Stay safe!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Too true! Have had the same problems many times and it is not getting better.

Virginia Wright said...

You definitely have that right, Elise! Easy open, my eye! I've had more of a mess than I got to eat several times. :)